Thursday, November 29, 2007

Public domain films: Reefer Madness (1936)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Some films from the 1930s have entered the public domain and are available on youtube.

As one Youtube comment writer puts it, " Our grandparents smoked pot!"


(That's only part I of the film, more parts here.)

From wikipedia: "Reefer Madness is a 1936 propaganda film revolving around the tragic events that follow when high school students are lured by pushers to try "marihuana": a hit and run accident, manslaughter, suicide, rape, and descent into madness all ensue. The film was directed by Louis J. Gasnier and starred a cast composed of mostly unknown bit actors. It was originally financed by a church group and made under the title Tell Your Children."

Complete wikipedia article.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My favorite part of this movie is when the crazy reefer addict keeps tell the woman at the piano to "play faster." It cracks me up every time! I've smoked a lot of pot in my time, and I don't think I've ever seen people act the way they do in this movie!

My Messy Blog said...

I just tend to end up in my bed for 8 hours thinking I'm going to die, my (very) short period as a dope-head wasn't a big succes. But then drinking 6 beers tends to do much the same thing to me... the "I'm surely going to die" thing I mean. Kids! This blog does NOT recommend taking drugs, mainly because Mr. blogger is a notorious weak-ass.